Brian, Bill and David's Alaskan Adventure

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

They Summited!

We haven't heard yet today, but this could be their summit day. We are all hoping to get a call soon, and will update the blog as soon as we hear something.

---- Update 4:45 pm Alaska Time ---

They all summited yesterday! They didn't call because they were busy climbing a mountain I suppose. They called this afternoon from the 14,000 ft camp and are planning on continuing down to basecamp thru the night. They could be flying to Talkeetna as soon as tommorow.


Saturday, June 24, 2006

Moving up to 17,000 feet

They took advantage of another great day on Denali today and moved up to high camp! Just one more big day and they could be standing on the top. The forecast sounds pretty good for the next couple of days, so they may have timed it just right. Wish them luck for tommorow.

The weather is improving

It was a beautiful day on Denali today, and the team is hoping it stays that way for a while. They will plan on moving up to the 17,200 foot camp on the W. Buttress route tommorow. Apparently the conditions on the West Rib did not look good for an attempt on that route, so they will try to summit via the Buttress.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Waiting For the Weather

They are hanging out at 14,000 feet today. The weather up high is pretty windy, we just got a call from our teams at the 14 camp. They will sit tight until it improves, which it is forecasted to do thru the weekend, and then move on up to high camp. They are eating lot's, taking afternoon naps, and catching up on their reading right now. Stay tuned...

You can check out the NWS forecast for Denali at
but realize that the group may be seeing very different weather than predicted.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Team Moved to 14,000 yesterday

The Team is a bit smaller now, Brian Ward had to come down as he was fighting a cold for the whole trip and it wasn't getting any better. Brian is back in the real world safe and sound, and the rest of the team is settling in to the 14,000ft camp for a couple of days. They will spend at least 4 nights at this camp before moving up to the West Rib high camp at 16,200 feet.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Carrying Loads to 13,500

Today the team should be carrying a load of food and fuel up to about 13,500 feet. This will give them a chance to begin to acclimate to the higher altitude, and then return to 11,000 to spend another night. They will be positioned to move up to the 14,000 foot camp any day!

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Moving up the Glacier

The team is moving up the Kahiltna to the 11,000 foot camp today. They are all moving strong, and the weather is great today.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

At Base Camp

The weather cleared enough for the planes to make it to basecamp this afternoon. Now the work begins. They will likely begin to travel up the glacier very early tommorow morning, and hope to make it to camp 1 before noon.